With 21% of workers in the construction industry shown to have had a mental health condition and the rate of suicide being twice that of other people in Australia, looking after employee mental health is a priority for the Australian Constructors Association.
Our members are tackling the issue head on by:
- promoting a common language in mental health, mental illness and suicide
- using tool box talks to encourage conversations around mental health
- introducing mental health first aid courses
- initiating a ‘sleep fit’ program to look at the effect of sleep on mental health
- providing managers with training to deal with mental illnesses and provide initial response and support to workers.
Looking after mental health is everyone’s business. Visit www.1010.org.au