COVID-19 INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
The Australian Constructors Association is committed to the wellbeing of everyone in our industry. To provide clarity, advice and essential resources during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have collated a range of information and resources to support our members, suppliers and partners in the safe operation of workplaces across Australia.
Rapid Antigen Testing
From 15 December 2021 density limits on construction sites have lifted and masks are no longer mandatory on site.
There are no vaccination conditions for workers on site.
COVID-19 Safety Plan
A COVID-19 Safety Plan is no longer a requirement for construction sites in Greater Sydney, however they are still recommended for all construction sites.
Managing a COVID-19 case on site
Infrastructure NSW has developed a guidance document for industry who need to manage a COVID-19 positive case on site.
Extension of construction work days
Construction sites can operate on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays until Christmas, as per the relevant Planning Order. On extended days, noisy works are not permitted and all reasonable noise reduction measures must be applied.
The Victorian Government has announced COVID-19 restrictions are being updated to ensure Victorians enjoy more freedoms this festive season, while the Omicron variant is monitored and investigated.
The Pandemic Orders will take effect from 11.59pm, Wednesday 15 December and will be in place until 11.59pm on 12 January 2022. The changes include:
- The mandatory vaccination requirement will be removed for all customers in retail, except hair and beauty services, and will also be removed in real estate, places of worship, weddings and funerals.
- Face masks will be still required for customers and workers in retail settings.
- Restaurants, cafes, bars and pubs are still only open to fully vaccinated patrons and staff. Workers are required to wear face masks.
- People under 18 will no longer be required to show proof of their vaccination status at all venues, including hospitality.
- Face masks no longer need to be worn at weddings, funerals or ceremonial settings. If these events are held at places of worship, there will not be any vaccination requirements or limits on participants, nor any requirement to check vaccination status. If the ceremony is at a hospitality setting, vaccine requirements will apply.
- Workplaces exposed to a positive COVID-19 case will no longer need to be deep cleaned.
- Tour and transport operators, gyms and creative arts premises will not need to clean equipment between users.
- Workplaces still need to maintain their COVIDSafe Plan.
The following links will take you to the relevant health information and resources from the federal, state and territory governments:
- Victorian Government COVID-19 Information: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-update
- New South Wales COVID-19 Information: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/default.aspx
- Queensland COVID-19 Information: https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/
- South Australian COVID-19 Information: https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/conditions/infectious+diseases/covid+2019/coronavirus+disease+2019+covid-19
- Western Australian COVID-19 Information: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alerthttps://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/articles/a_e/coronavirus
- Tasmanian COVID-19 Information: https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/
- Northern Territory COVID-19 Information: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/
- Australian Capital Territory COVID-19 Information: https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/
Examples of Industry Best Practice
Our members are committed to the health and well being of our people and to ensuring that sites are managed in line with government advice. Across Australia projects have adapted their working practices, innovating every aspect of project delivery from remote back office working to socially distanced toolboxes and thermal testing procedures.
Across sites, Acciona has installed clear and prominent signage to remind to all team members of their obligations.
Clough’s logistics team on the BHP South Flank OHP Project were awarded crew of the month for their response to COVID-19 measures. They not only responded to COVID-19 measures by ensuring social distancing in crib rooms, organising additional cleaning and sanitisation, and identifying and eliminating fomite touch points, but they also safely achieved all the required milestones for the progression of the scope of work. In addition, they managed to raise funds for the Newman Women’s Shelter.
On Fulton Hogan sites, social distancing, masks, thermal scanning and handsfree sign-in processes are the norm, and all teams and contractors are playing their part in the wellbeing and health of each other and the community.
Laing O’Rourke has share detailed guidelines for all team members transitioning back to work following the easing of restrictions in some states, including a comprehensive return to work plan.
- COVID-19 Site Minimum Standards – https://nextgearsms.com/wp-content/uploads/200525-index-of-covid-19-site-minimum-standards-1.pdf
- Preparing to go back to the workplace again after self-isolation lifts – https://nextgearsms.com/wp-content/uploads/preparing-to-go-back-to-the-workplace-again-after-self-isolation-lift__.pdf
- Laing O’Rourke Return to Work Plan – https://nextgearsms.com/wp-content/uploads/Return-to-Workplace_Handbook_2020_V05.pdf
McConnell Dowell is ensuring that across every site, there are industry-leading measures in place to ensure the wellbeing of their team members including:
- Contactless site sign in and tracking of room usage through QR codes
- Temperature testing very person entering site
- Covid-19 drill undertaken (WorkSafe participated)
- Hand sanitiser on every desk and in every meeting room
- Daily communications and bulletins reinforcing social distancing, PPE requirements, stay at home if symptomatic
- Continual PPE compliance audits
In addition, all projects have implemented COVID-19 specific site-cleaning training for project peggies and cleaners delivered by professional occupational hygienists.